Contract Python Engineer
Contract Python Developer - Day Rate, Remote in Ireland
Python 2 to Python 3 Upgrade Project (initially for 6 months)
Our prestigious, highly-regarded customer is a market leader in investment management, with offices in 20 financial hubs across the world. As part of a new strategy, they’re investing in a wide-scale modernisation of their tech stack to support this strategy. They have a footprint of a globally distributed technology platform, deployed across both on-prem data centres and within public cloud environments including AWS.
You will join a small group of developers responsible for upgrading business-critical, flagship systems from Python 2 to Python 3. This will be done in parallel to ongoing enhancements and adding new functionality required to support the business, and executing a seamless transition to the new version of Python without disruption will be essential.
There is a strong possibility of extending the contract past 6 months, to work on building and maintaining the front-office tools that support a highly-regarded Global Credit business.
Naturally, prior experience in upgrading Python versions is highly desirable (but not essential) as are excellent interpersonal and communication skills and being a creative problem solver.
This is a unique opportunity to work on a high-calibre team and to bring technical innovation to an interesting and fast-paced business, in which our customer is a leader.
Description of the role:
- Work as part of a team to plan and seamlessly execute a Python 2 to 3 upgrade project across several applications and services.
- Provide creative ideas and input for devising an appropriate upgrade strategy that facilitates ongoing development work during the project.
- Implement the necessary changes to convert existing Python 2 code to Python 3.
- Design and implement a testing approach to ensure minimal disruption to business users during the Python version transition.
- 5+ years of Python with excellent knowledge and experience in Python 2 and 3
- Experience in SQL Server-heavy environments
- High maturity in automated testing, SDLC, and change management
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with the Django framework (or Flask, or SQL Alchemy)
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with front office investment professionals and an interest in financial markets
- A strong desire, to work as a full-stack developer using a modern technology stack
- Prior Python upgrade experience
Extension following successful completion of the upgrade project :
- Join the front-office solutions team, covering a range of functional disciplines including trade order management, portfolio and compliance, and calculations/reporting related to holdings, NAV & position to assist Traders
- Enhance, extend and evolve in-house developed application platform (Python/ Linux; evaluating cloud-native technologies, Docker, GitLab, etc)
- Build robust automated regression for business-critical functions
- Troubleshoot, performance tune, refactor and build new functionality
- Help to execute the next-generation strategic Credit Technology roadmap
Our customer is passionate about technology and passionate about providing their investment and business professionals with the best possible tools.
You must already be eligible to live and work in Ireland as a contractor (with EU citizenship or a Stamp 4 visa). Please note that other visas do not allow for day rate contract engagements through your own Limited Company.