Cloud Data Architect Team Lead
Cloud Data Architect – Team Lead
We've partnered with our global customer, who are well-established, market leaders in their field, to assist in their search for a Cloud Data Architect Team Lead. This role is based in central Dublin with hybrid remote working in the future.
You have the opportunity to join and lead a small team focused on the firm’s cloud Data Architecture. You are a passionate visionary and technologist with a focus on Data Architectures, cloud solutions and implementations. In your role, you will be given great latitude to flex your skillset while benefiting from the support of our many AWS Certified team members.
As a Cloud Data Architect Lead, your efforts will advance the firm’s capabilities to deliver the strategy for cost and performance-optimised solution architectures as relates to data lakes, analytics, and machine learning, while ensuring our technology solutions safeguard the security, privacy, and integrity of the business.
You will have the opportunity to shape the makeup of a growing team of Cloud Data Architects and Engineers, as well as the processes and practices used by the team. You will collaborate with business stakeholders, as well as our Data Science, Engineering and Product teams to architect and solution in accordance to industry wide best practices. This is a Hands-On position whereby you will be responsible for solution architecture, implementation, IaC, and support.
- Coach/Player approach. Solution architecture and hands-on development.
- Provide expertise and key experiences in AWS data services (Data Lake, Analytics, ETL, and Warehousing) to lead the team in well-architected solutions and implementations.
- Day-to-day oversight and direction of the Cloud Data Architecture Team, consisting of 2-3 members with a mix of full-time staff and contractors.
- Prioritise and manage team productivity through Agile methods (e.g. Sprint Planning, Product Backlog, and Roadmap management).
- Reporting into the firm-wide Architecture group.
- Ensure smooth collaboration between the team and other stakeholders in the organization.
- Partner with Business stakeholders, Data Scientists, Analysts, Architects, and Engineers to build Solution Architectures that leverage the Data Platform in an optimized, low barrier to entry manner.
- Contribute to the evolution of the overall Data Architecture Strategy, including Reference Architectures and Reference Implementations to grow the platform.
- Contribute to the adoption of the firm’s Data Platform and work with stakeholders to enable them to self-serve in their consumption of the platform
- Identify and implement processes, tools, and methods that support the target strategy, address data lifecycle, cover data movement, data security, data privacy, and metadata management.
- Effectively communicate new recommendations and solutions to peers, with an emphasis on knowledge sharing. Communicate architectural information to non-technical audiences.
- Adapt existing design patterns and reference architectures specifically for the Spencer Stuart environment.
- Implement solutions using Infrastructure as Code to ensure repeatable, consistent, and deterministic outcomes. Develop fully automated solutions using AWS Cloud Native Services that enable performance and cost optimised solutions.
- Developing / Debugging AWS data service-based workloads.
- Partner with development and build release teams on data initiatives.
- Rapidly developing prototype data pipelines to validate solutions against large data sets.
- POC code and evolving it into a production-ready solution with a focus on code quality, testing, security, performance and operational excellence.
- Embrace DevOps practices / CALMS principles.
- Show efficiency in handling data - tracking data lineage, ensuring data quality, and improving discoverability of data
- Security as a day 1 principle
- 2+ years’ experience running a Cloud Data Architecture team
- 4+ years' Solution Architecture experience, including 3+ years' Data Architecture.
- Hands-on experience with several of the following AWS services (Athena, Glue ETL/Catalog, Redshift, Sagemaker, RDS or Aurora, DynamoDB, Lambda, EC2, StepFunctions).
- 3+ years' hands-on AWS experience, including 2+ years hands-on AWS experience in CodePipeline and/or CloudFormation.
- 3+ years' Software Development experience, including 2+ years of Python (including Spark) experience.
- Experience building & operating production data lakes and data warehouse solutions on AWS.
- Self-starter/autonomy is a must. Demonstrated ability to self-teach, learn, and apply learnings as a regular course of activity.
- Strong DevOps mindset and experience in promoting code from staging to production environments through automation.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
- AWS Certified, preferably Big Data, SA and/or DevOps.
- A well-grounded knowledge of engineering and continuous delivery practices using modern software development tooling (GitHub, CodeCommit, IDEA, PyCharm, Visual Studio, etc.), processes (e.g. Scrum, Agile), and toolsets (e.g. JIRA, Confluence).
- Understanding of IAM Security, Policies, and Roles.
- Data Science and Analytics programming language experience (ML, Python, R, etc.)
- Knowledge of big data technologies and frameworks (i.e. Kinesis, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, etc.)
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in Route53, SQS, SNS, CloudTrail and other new technology.
- Active in technical communities (e.g AWS Meetups), & development of publications (e.g. Slideshare, Medium)
- Stay current with new technology options and vendor products, evaluating which ones would be a good fit for the company
An attractive package is available that's dependant on experience. You must already be eligible to live and work in Ireland.